Individuals Can Volunteer in Many Way
Aiken Habitat for Humanity relies on volunteers to accomplish the many tasks that are required to build homes for Habitat partner families. This is a brief description of the areas in which you can make a contribution:
At the Build Site:
- Construction – Volunteers with a wide range of skills and skill levels (tradesmen, skilled amateurs, and eager helpers) are required in all phases of the construction of a Habitat home.
- Catering Co-ordination – Volunteers are needed as meal providers or to assist others in providing food for our volunteers.
- Meal Providers – Volunteers and volunteer groups are needed to provide meals for our volunteers.
On a Committee:
- Church Relations – Volunteers are needed to present the Habitat message to the Faith Community throughout the city.
- Communications – Volunteers with experience in public relations, advertising, or media relations are needed to present the Habitat message to the general public.
- Construction – Volunteers with experience in construction, project management, materials acquisition, or building design are needed to manage our construction activities and acquire building materials at the lowest possible cost.
- Family Support – Volunteers are needed to partner with Habitat families and to help them through the transition from renter to homeowner.
- Family Selection – Volunteers are required to review homeowner applications, interview applicants, and recommend the families that will partner with Habitat to construct their home.
- Fund Development – Volunteers with fundraising experience and/or contacts within the corporate community, among community groups, or foundations are needed to raise funds to support the Habitat program.
- Site Selection – Volunteers with contacts among the real-estate developers, or the city are needed to maintain an inventory of developable land for Habitat homes.
- Volunteer – Volunteers are needed for recruitment, placement, scheduling,and recognition of the volunteers.
At the ReStore:
- Driver’s Assistant – Volunteers are needed to help drive and pick up donations and load/unload the trucks.
- ReStore Committee – Volunteers with retail experience, or contacts among potential donors are needed to provide advice and plan strategy for theReStore.
- Warehouse Clerk – Volunteers are needed for the intake and preparation for sale of donations. These volunteers also assist customers.
- Appliance Tester – Volunteers are needed to ensure donated household appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, etc.) are in good working order and ready for resale.
In the Office:
- Data Entry – Volunteers with general computer skills are needed to enter data from various sources into our database.
- Mailing – Volunteers are needed on an irregular basis to fold and label newsletters, stuff envelopes, etc.
- General Office – Volunteers are needed for general office duties. Word processing experience would be an asset.
- Special Events – Volunteers are needed to help organize fundraising and appreciation events.