Aiken County Habitat for Humanity’s criteria for selecting homeowners is based upon the requirements listed below:
- Applicants must be 18 years or older.
- A legal resident or U.S. citizen and have lived in Aiken County for at least one year.
- Have a need for adequate shelter.
- Have the ability to pay the mortgage payments.
- Be willing to assist in the construction of their own Habitat house, as well as other Habitat houses.
- Be willing to partner with Habitat for Humanity including our free financial counseling.
Homeowner families are required to invest “sweat equity” labor hours into the construction of their houses as well as other Habitat houses.
Mortgage payments are approximately $300 to $500 a month, which includes escrow for property taxes, insurance and a termite contract.
A down payment of $500 is required by each homeowner for their Habitat house and is payable at the time of the closing.
The costs of Habitat houses are kept low through donations from individuals, corporations, churches, foundations and through the use of volunteer labor. Habitat for Humanity depends on volunteers. The most well-known volunteers are President Jimmy Carter and his wife, Rosalynn, who started building with Habitat for Humanity International in 1984.
Please stop by the office Tuesday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. for more information.